check_log not working properly

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 2 00:39:53 CET 2004

Jeff Rodriguez writes:

> Well, if you're using it for syslog, you might want to check out using
> syslog-ng and dumping your logs into a database. That'd also be useful for
> checking the logs of multiple systems. After that making a simple perl
> script to query the database is cake. Then again it's only usefl if you're
> using it for syslog.
>
> Jeff

I actually installed evtsys and snare so I can dump Event Log of NT to a
unix box. I got both working to send messages to my FreeBSD syslog. But of
course, I was just testing w/c one is better.

It seems to me that monitoring logs is a little bit a pain in the neck. If I
would go for "dumping logs" into a database, are there any available check
script for this?

Thanks for the idea.

Neil