Nagios + PostgreSQL = high cpu load?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Dec 27 17:23:15 CET 2004

Mikolaj Rydzewski wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm using Nagios 1.2, installed from ports on FreeBSD 5.2.1. I've
> compiled PostgreSQL support in. And now I can see unusual high cpu load
> - mostly due to postmaster activity. Take a look at mrtg graph at
> http://ceti.pl/~miki/test/k2_cpu-week.png - I've installed nagios last
> week, and finally polished its confguration on friday.
>
> I'm not a newbie PostgreSQL user, IMHO it's tuned fine (fsync set to
> off, big cache). Our website is postgresql driven (it's PostgreSQL 7.4.1
> there). But nagios seems to take our database to its knees :-(
>
> I've got 36 service checkers on 7 hosts now. Our server is 2GHz AMD,
> 512MG RAM - so it's rather powerful machine.
>
> Maybe PostgreSQL is not the best choice to use with Nagios? Does mysql
> work better?

Probably not. The problem with Nagios and DB support is the way it is
implemented. Each status-change causes a flush and recreation of a very
flat table. This causes the db server to eat an extraordinary amount of
CPU each time the status is updated.

There's supposed to be pretty nice database support for Nagios 2 with a
NEB-module posted to nagios-devel a couple of weeks ago.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer