Nagios + PostgreSQL = high cpu load?

Mikolaj Rydzewski mikolajr at becomo.com
Mon Dec 27 14:01:53 CET 2004

Hello all!

I'm using Nagios 1.2, installed from ports on FreeBSD 5.2.1. I've
compiled PostgreSQL support in. And now I can see unusual high cpu load
- mostly due to postmaster activity. Take a look at mrtg graph at
http://ceti.pl/~miki/test/k2_cpu-week.png - I've installed nagios last
week, and finally polished its confguration on friday.

I'm not a newbie PostgreSQL user, IMHO it's tuned fine (fsync set to
off, big cache). Our website is postgresql driven (it's PostgreSQL 7.4.1
there). But nagios seems to take our database to its knees :-(

I've got 36 service checkers on 7 hosts now. Our server is 2GHz AMD,
512MG RAM - so it's rather powerful machine.

Maybe PostgreSQL is not the best choice to use with Nagios? Does mysql
work better?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski  <mikolajr at becomo.com>
Becomo S.A.