Nagios + Logsurfer or Swatch?

Emmett Hogan EmmettH at Examen.com
Wed Dec 22 19:31:59 CET 2004

Hi Folks,

I need to be able to scan log files looking for several different
strings, and sometimes the number of times a string appears is
important.  Often times, this is on a rather large log file, so the
existing "check_log" script would tend to load the machine quite a bit
since it can only handle one string at a time, plus it really cannot
handle the "alarm if this_string occurs more than 10 times in 10
minutes" in the log.

I was just wondering if anyone had written a more robust check_log
extension, or possibly come up with some logsurfer or swatch integration
checks.

...or is it time to "roll my own"? :-)

Thanks!

-Emmett

--
================ Examen, Inc. ================
Emmett Hogan
Senior UNIX Administrator
emmetth at examen.com
==== Outside Counsel Management Solutions ====

CONFIDENTIAL -  PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
This e-mail may include confidential, trade secret or legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use, distribute or disclose this
communication to anyone other than the intended recipient. Please
notify the sender of any error in transmission or delivery and
delete any misdirected e-mail from your system.