Nagios host checking

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 22 16:16:40 CET 2004

--On Wednesday, December 22, 2004 1:30 PM +0000 Stephen Joy
<sjoy at peavey-eu.com> wrote:

> Hi Nagios Users,
>
> I am having a problem checking wether or not my hosts are up or not.
> nagios just does not seem to be sceduling the checks on them as i would
> expect.
>
> I have many hosts that do not have any services attached to them and i
> want to know wether they are up or not.
>
> At the moment the only hosts i have status on are the ones with services
> attached to them.
>
> On the tactical overview screen under hosts i see 0 down, 0 unreachable,
> 2 up, 40 pending.
>
> It always stays at 40 pending the 2 that are up are the ones with the
> services attached.
>
> I would be most gratful if anyone has any ideas as to what i need to do
> to get my hosts checked

Yyou have to have a service associated with a host before nagios will check
the host.  So you need to devise some sort of service check.  I usually use
a ping service check in this type of scenario.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer