Nagios host checking

Stephan Janosch Stephan.Janosch at interface-business.de
Wed Dec 22 16:19:58 CET 2004

Stephen Joy wrote:
> Hi Nagios Users,
>
> I am having a problem checking wether or not my hosts are up or not. nagios just does not seem to be sceduling the checks on them as i would expect.
>
> I have many hosts that do not have any services attached to them and i want to know wether they are up or not.
>
> At the moment the only hosts i have status on are the ones with services attached to them.
>
> On the tactical overview screen under hosts i see 0 down, 0 unreachable, 2 up, 40 pending.
>
> It always stays at 40 pending the 2 that are up are the ones with the services attached.
>
> I would be most gratful if anyone has any ideas as to what i need to do to get my hosts checked
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen

Nagios needs at least one service, to check a host. the
check_host_command is only for determining host status, when the service
fails.

My proposal: make yourself a check_ping command which calls the
check_ping plugin. Add all your hosts to this service and there you go.

Here one usefull hint: Read the "Time Saving Tricks" Sections of the
manual. This could save you a lot of work ;)