failing host checks

Ollie Cook ollie at uk.clara.net
Fri Dec 17 17:23:11 CET 2004

I've gathered some more information on this problem. I've enabled DEBUG3 which
shows the results of service and host checks.

The only services configured on this host are NNTP and NNTP-feed.

The relevant results are:

*** Event Details ***
        Event type: 0 (service check)
                Service Description: NNTP-feed
                Associated Host:     atropos.uk.clara.net
        Event time: Fri Dec 17 16:00:52 2004
        Checking service 'NNTP-feed' on host 'atropos.uk.clara.net'...

        Found check result for service 'NNTP-feed' on host 'atropos.uk.clara.net'
                Check Type:    ACTIVE
                Parallelized?: Yes
                Exited OK?:    Yes
                Return Status: 2
                Plugin Output: 'Unexpected response from host: 502 atropos.uk.clara.net: Transfer permission denied to 80.168.86.11 - newsmaster at clara.net (DIABLO 4-STABLE-20030211-00)'A

*** Event Details ***
        Event type: 0 (service check)
                Service Description: NNTP
                Associated Host:     atropos.uk.clara.net
        Event time: Fri Dec 17 16:02:21 2004
        Checking service 'NNTP' on host 'atropos.uk.clara.net'...

        Found check result for service 'NNTP' on host 'atropos.uk.clara.net'
                Check Type:    ACTIVE
                Parallelized?: Yes
                Exited OK?:    Yes
                Return Status: 2
                Plugin Output: 'Unexpected response from host: 502 atropos.uk.clara.net: Access denied to your node - newsmaster at clara.net'

Both services have a return status of 2 (CRITICAL):

	./base/nagios.h:#define STATE_CRITICAL                  2

so I would expect to see a host check for this host.

Interestingly, the 'Last Status Check' is increasing, but the logs never show
the check_ping plugin being called for that host.

Does anyone know where I can look for further information about this?

Yours,

Ollie
--
Ollie Cook         Systems Architect, Claranet UK
ollie at uk.clara.net               +44 20 7685 8065