failing host checks

Ollie Cook ollie at uk.clara.net
Fri Dec 17 14:32:05 CET 2004

Hi,

I am having a problem with host checks. Specifically, NAGIOS is marking a host
as DOWN when all the services on a host are down, but the host itself is UP.

However, this is only happening in SOME cases. Some hosts where all services
are DOWN are marked as UP, and others as DOWN.

I have NAGIOS configured as follows:

define command {
        command_name  check-host-alive
        command_line  $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5 -w 3000.0,20% -c 5000.0,60%
}

define host {
        name          generic-host
        check_command check-host-alive
        register      0
}

define host {
        use        generic-host
        host_name  atropos.uk.clara.net
        address    217.158.240.13
        alias      atropos.uk.clara.net
}

The Host State information for atropos.uk.clara.net lists the status
information as "(No Information Returned From Host Check)".

However, running the plugin manually returns the following output:

# check_ping -H 217.158.240.13 -p 5 -w 3000.0,20% -c 5000.0,60%
PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 12.55 ms

Therefore I don't believe the problem lies with the plugin that I'm using to
check host status. I am using NAGIOS version 1.2.

How might I go about debugging this issue further? Are there any relevant fixes
in the newly released 2.0b which may have an effect on this?

Yours,

Ollie

--
Ollie Cook         Systems Architect, Claranet UK
ollie at uk.clara.net               +44 20 7685 8065