A Potential Bug with Object.cache?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 16 21:17:39 CET 2004

Mark Nadir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all let me congratulate all the contributors to 2.0b - this is
> truly a remarkable piece of work.
>
> I would like to submit a potential anomaly I have noticed recently.
>
> Every so often, I would see old services/hosts definitions, as well as
> certain states that seem to be cached somewhere that appear out of thin
> air, when activating any of the cgi's from the navigation sidebar.
>
> For instance, if I change/add a new service to a host, then click on
> Hosts Details, Service Details, or Tactical Overview a number of times -
> every so often, a report would be generated that does NOT show the new
> service - this applies to tactical view as well. So out of 15 clicks, 14
> clicks would show the correct configuration, but one click would not.
> This number of clicks is by no means fixed, and varies.
>
> Upon further reading, I noticed that there is a new feature
> objects.cache which may seem to govern this. I tried disabling
> objects.cache from within nagios.cfg, but this doesn't seem to solve the
> problem, since it persists.

If you 'disable' objects.cache (which would mean deleting it) the cgi's
wouldn't get any object config info at all, and would thus fail
miserably. Are you sure you don't have multiple instances of Nagios
running (it should be 4 or 1, depending on how your version of ps shows
threaded applications).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer