Newbie - Checking directory for files

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Tue Dec 14 17:09:16 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 10:47:59AM +0000, Tom.Corcoran at meridianp2p.com wrote:
> How can I get a plugin to constantly check a folder for the existence of
> error files and to alert me as long as the files exist in the directory.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You'd have to write a plugin for that. It should be fairily
simple, something like:

#!/bin/sh
FILES=`ls -l /some/dir/*.files|wc -l`

if [ $FILES -gt 0 ]; then
echo "Error files found!"
exit 2
else
echo "No error files found"
exit 0
fi

Of course you'd probably want to spruce that up to use
command-line arguments instead of hardcoded values, but you get
the idea. Plugins are actually very easy to write -- it only
gets hard when you want the plugin to work on every platform
in existence in any possible configuration.

-Jason Martin
--
Only 19,999 lines of C++ to my next ski trip...
This message is PGP/MIME signed.