check_snmp string matching problem

Lewis Getschel lgetschel at denver.westerngeco.slb.com
Thu Dec 9 23:57:29 CET 2004

All-
   I'm having trouble matching the string returned with snmp(get/walk)
with check_snmp, for checking our Network Appliance servers. Using the
mib's I can get the useful string "The system's global status is normal. "
   However, getting that to match with the check_snmp plugin is driving
me crazy! And searching the mailing list/google didn't seem to help.

Using snmpget I see that value returned:
    688 /usr/local/nagios/etc % /usr/bin/snmpget -v 1 -c public fas0:161
1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.2.2.25.0
    SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.789.1.2.2.25.0 = STRING: "The system's
global status is normal. "

I thought that matching that string wouldn't be too hard (yeah, right!)

I've tried escaping the single quote:
686 /usr/local/nagios/etc % /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp -m
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/netapp.mib.txt -H fas0 -s="The system\'s global
status is normal. " -o  NETWORK-APPLIANCE-MIB::miscGlobalStatusMessage.0
   SNMP CRITICAL - *"The system's global status is normal. "*

I've tried quoting the quotes:
691 /usr/local/nagios/etc % /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp -m
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/netapp.mib.txt -H fas0 -s=""The system's global
status is normal. "" -o NETWORK-APPLIANCE-MIB::miscGlobalStatusMessage.0
Unmatched '.

So I tried both:
692 /usr/local/nagios/etc % /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_snmp -m
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/netapp.mib.txt -H fas0 -s=""The system\'s global
status is normal. "" -o NETWORK-APPLIANCE-MIB::miscGlobalStatusMessage.0
SNMP CRITICAL - *"The system's global status is normal. "*

I've tried single quotes outside the doubles, escaping various
quotes...Without going on for a few dozen more pages, I think I've tried
all the combinations. (but must have missed the critical one <smile>)
Does someone have some more experience with check_snmp using strings?
or some help with regular-expression matching with this string?

Any help will be appreciated.
Lewis

--
Lewis Getschel             | Today is done...
WesternGeco                |     Today was fun...