NSClient / NRPE / SNMP / ? (Windows monitoring)

Michael Medin mime at forumsql.se
Wed Dec 1 09:21:52 CET 2004

Hi,

A few months ago I started to look at ways to monitor my windows boxes,
and thought that NRPE was a bit too heavyweight as many of the computers
only need to have CPU, HD, services and processes monitored. I then
tried NSClient which I had a lot of problems with, mainly version
conflicts with PDH DLL and such making amongst others our exchange
server to crash :)
In the end I opted for SNMP as it was both lightweight and had most of
the features I wanted and most importantly was already in use as we have
HP InsightManager for hardware monitoring. But now the question of
service monitoring (not process monitoring) have come up, as well as
file date/time/size, and some are even talking about other things and I
don't know if SNMP can handle that. So the question is which way to go?

Before I settled in with SNMP I wrote my own version of NSClient that
worked better (written in C++) and had most of the features I needed
then. But as I went with SNMP I a banded my version of NSClient. So one
strong contender is my version of NSClient as it can "easily" be
extended in-house. But are there any good alternatives out there?
Which client is the way to go?

// Michael Medin