HOST DOWN notification not getting resent

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 26 21:02:17 CEST 2004

--On Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:48 AM -0700 Joe Rhett <jrhett at meer.net>
wrote:

>> --On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 10:47 AM +0200 Andreas Ericsson
>> <ae at op5.se>
>> > 2. Is the host down or unreachable?
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:06:50PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>> Yes.  Poweroff is a very nice command.
>
> No, NAGIOS state.  What does NAGIOS say?

It says it is down, like I've stated before.

>> > 3. Are you positive the host hasn't gone to flapping state? Nagios 1.x
>> > doesn't notify for this. Nagios 2.0 has an option to do so.
>>
>> Yes, absolutely positive.  I can run a ping from another window that
>> consistently shows the host never returning anything.
>
> flapping is a nagios state, and irrelevant to ping status.

I understand what Nagios considers as flapping.  And I've seen states flap
in Nagios before, and I've known why they were flapping, because the
activity on the host *was flapping*.

To answer the question more explicitly, which really shouldn't be necessary:

As above, Nagios reports the host down.  Not flapping.  As I've said before.

The host itself also isn't flapping.

>> > 4. You're sure you haven't set notification_interval to 0 in the host
>> > object definition (or anywhere else, for that matter)?
>>
>> Yes.  Especially since it is quite happy to send the *first* host down
>> alert, just not any following alerts.
>
> You didn't read the docs. Notification interval set to 0 does exactly that
> -- it sends a single notification, and no followups.

You didn't read what I said.  I said "Yes" to "Are you sure you don't have
notification_interval set to 0 in a host object definition".  However you
are right, I should have examined the exact definition of what notification
interval 0 means, so I would better understand why everyone thinks this is
my problem.

>> > 5. You're sure nothing is wrong with the way notifications are sent?
>>
>> Yes, because all service notifications are sent correctly, for hours on
>> end, if a host is up and its services have problems.
>
> host and service notifications have nothing in common. They use different
> options in the contacts, and they run different scripts to notify.

Okay, but they also end up being sent off of the host in a similar fashion
via email.  Anyhow, we didn't screw with the default notification scripts
anyway.

The rest of your email doesn't even bear commenting on.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer