HOST DOWN notification not getting resent

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Thu Aug 26 19:48:28 CEST 2004

> --On Wednesday, August 25, 2004 10:47 AM +0200 Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>
> >2. Is the host down or unreachable?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:06:50PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> Yes.  Poweroff is a very nice command.

No, NAGIOS state.  What does NAGIOS say?

> >3. Are you positive the host hasn't gone to flapping state? Nagios 1.x
> >doesn't notify for this. Nagios 2.0 has an option to do so.
>
> Yes, absolutely positive.  I can run a ping from another window that
> consistently shows the host never returning anything.

flapping is a nagios state, and irrelevant to ping status.

> >4. You're sure you haven't set notification_interval to 0 in the host
> >object definition (or anywhere else, for that matter)?
>
> Yes.  Especially since it is quite happy to send the *first* host down
> alert, just not any following alerts.

You didn't read the docs. Notification interval set to 0 does exactly that
-- it sends a single notification, and no followups.

> >5. You're sure nothing is wrong with the way notifications are sent?
>
> Yes, because all service notifications are sent correctly, for hours on
> end, if a host is up and its services have problems.

host and service notifications have nothing in common. They use different
options in the contacts, and they run different scripts to notify.

> >6. Have you tried running Nagios as a foreground process while producing
> >errors like this in the configuration?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

please read the docs.

> Before even implementing Nagios here at Stanford, I read through the
> configuration files & played with the setup for a few weeks.  Then we
> implemented it, and pushed it out.  The configuration pieces are rather
> simple, and the documentation was quite thorough.  I'm not some 2-bit hack
> who has problems understanding command prompts, etc.

Given that you don't even know what half the items quoted above are, I
guess that your depth of experience makes documentation irrelevant?

> administering UNIX based systems & applications for over 10 years.  I've
> yet to see anyone be able to find anything in our configuration that
> explains Nagios' behavior.  Personally, I think it is a bug in Nagios
> running under Solaris, and I've yet to see anything that contradicts that
> assumption at all.

I've been running Nagios in production on Solaris for 2 years now, and this
problem simply doesn't exist.

And frankly, "you have yet to see anything" is about the truest statement
you've made so far.  If you have so many years experience, why haven't you
picked up some debugging skills along the way?

You are coming across as of these hacks who doesn't read docs, and thinks
that mailing lists can solve all problems for them, and bitch and complain
when they don't.

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek