FW: FW: NRPE always Returns 0 (OK) from monitoring server

shane.stakem at managestar.com shane.stakem at managestar.com
Thu Aug 26 20:27:47 CEST 2004

My apologies, 2 is the return value im getting when I run it locally.
There aren't really any logs that I can show because I no longer have
the nagios service running so as to not get email spammed about no
functioning services. It looks like the only plugin so far having this
issue is check_disk. I am currently running NRPE 2.0 and stable Nagios
V1.2 on Redhat Linux 3.0ES. The remote host is running RH2.1ES. I have
tested this with the newest and oldest check_disk plugins on both
servers and find the same result. Thanks for the help.

Shane

Here is my config files:

(From checkcommands.cfg)
# 'check_nrpe' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -c
$ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$
        }
# 'check_local_disk' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_local_disk
        command_line    $USER1$/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$

(From services.cfg)
#       use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        service_description             DISK_SPACE_1
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_disk1
        }

(From hosts.cfg)
# 'NIMBUS' host definition
define host{
#       use                     LocalDev                ; Name of host
template to use

        host_name               nimbus
        alias                   nimbus
        address                 10.13.1.16
        parents                 VH-2402S
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

shane.stakem at managestar.com wrote:
> I am running Nagios 1.2 and NRPE 2.0
>
> (I set the threshhold to be critical)
> When I run: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk1 20 30 /dev/sda
> "root" on the remote host and then $? I get 3 which is correct for a
> critical check.

3 is actually unknown. 2 is critical.

> However when I run: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.1.1.30
> -p 5666 -c check_disk1 -to 10 I get the correct output string saying
> the state is critical but a $? returns a 0 hence showing up as "OK"
> status. I have tried this with every version of nrpe I could find.
> WHAT am I doing wrong?? or is this a software bug?

This seems to be a software bug, although I've never seen it before.
What version of NRPE are you running? Can you provide me with some log
output (off list, if possible)?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer

reporting any issue.