what if event handler failed?

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Thu Aug 26 17:13:08 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:55:22PM +0800, Kelvin Wu wrote:
> it's a good idea to fix the problem on CRITICAL SOFT state, and next
> question is, does nagios has enough time to finish the event handler?
I expect that Nagios treats the event handler as part of the
service check, and so doesn't rerun the service check until the
handler is finished.  If your handler forks into the background
that would be different.

> because some event handlers may take 1 or 2 mins to finish.
I hope you set the max check time higher than the default 1
minute, or Nagios will kill the handler mid-execution.

> exactly 2mins or more(less) to execute accroding to my configuration?
The event handler has until the event_handler_timeout timeout has been reached
to run. I believe that Nagios won't execute the next service
check of that service until the handler has completed, even if
the retry interval is has passed.  So, ignoring the idea of
forking into the background, you'll never have two instances of
the same event handler running at the same time.

-Jason Martin
--
This message is PGP/MIME signed.