Nagios 2.0a1

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 25 18:38:38 CEST 2004

steven.grzywinski at superior-group.com wrote:
> We're implementing 2.0a1 and I'm really missing two features that I
> thought we're part of this realease... I've looked through the docs but I
> know they're not complete so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me...
>
> 1) Line continutation... I'd rather list my hosts like this:
>
> host1,
> host2,
> host3
>
> rather than host1, host2., host3
>
> can we do this?

Not unless you make some serious patches to the Nagios core, no. Today,
configuration files are parsed on a per-line basis. You would either
need to introduce another variable to maintain 'unfinished line' state,
or have some routine pre-parse the files before handing them over to the
'real' parsing routine (which would in that case have to be modified to
some extent).

> 2)Regular expression matching... I have standard matching enabled but get
> complaints from verifiaction when I try to use a '*' or '?'... for
> example... we have lots of Domino servers... I want in the hostgroup
> definition do something like:
>
> hostgroup{
>         hostgroup_name          domino
>         alias                           domino servers
>         members                 sg_radnor_n?
>         }

Please be careful to separate wildcards from regular expressions. If you
mean to match any character exactly once in a regexp, you'd put a dot
(.), and not a question mark. AFAIK, the only wildcard supported is the
asterisk (*).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer