Not escalating as expected

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 25 16:36:23 CEST 2004

Chris de Vidal wrote:
> ============
> Version: 1.2
>
> Problem: Escalation doesn't begin until service notification_interval
> timeout is complete.
>
> Explanation:
> I've configured my services to use a contact_group that only has me in it.
>  I've then configured three serviceescalations, each with increasing
> first/last_notifications.  The first serviceescalation (2nd notification)
> has a contact_group with just my cell phone's email address.  The second
> serviceescalation (3rd notification) has all of the admins' email
> addresses, and the third serviceescalation (4th notification) has their
> cell phone's email addresses.
>
> Thus when I have a service outage I am emailed.  If I'm not looking at
> email, SMS rings my phone.  If I don't respond within 5 minutes the rest
> of the admins are emailed, and if they're not looking at their email they
> are all SMS'ed.
>
> ALMOST works like a champ.
>
> Escalations don't begin until the service's notification_interval timeout
> is completed.  Mine are set to 4 hours, so my cell phone and the rest of
> the admins are not emailed for at least 4 hours.
>
> If I lower it to 3 minutes it works as expected but I get bombarded with
> emails from the normal service contact (not escalations).  If I set it to
> 0 I get only one email from the normal service contact (expected) but
> escalation never happens (unexpected).
>
> Here's the ideal situation:
> <service interruption> I'm immediately emailed.
> <3 minutes pass and I don't acknowledge> My cell is emailed.
> <3 minutes pass and I still don't acknowledge> My colleagues are emailed.
> <3 minutes pass and they don't acknowledge> My colleagues' cells are
> emailed. <4 hours goes by> Everything repeats.
>

> Anyone know how I can accomplish this?  I think everything could be
> resolved if the service notification_interval worked in parallel with the
> escalation notifications.

If you set your notification_interval to 3 minutes for the service in
question, link it to a contactgroup containing a contact receiving no
notifications, and set up the escalation so that the real contactgroup
gets email notifications 1 and 81, cellphone notifications 2 and 82 (I'm
sure you get the idea), I think you would get notifications the way you
want, although not forever.

Note that I'm being strictly theoretical about it though, as I have no
intention of sitting around 4 hours watching something that may or may
not fail.

> God bless,

I'm sure she does, one way or another. ;-)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer