Error: Could not read host and service status information!

Allison Andrews allie at soccercityusa.com
Tue Aug 24 23:23:22 CEST 2004

I've installed Nagios 1.2 on SUSE 9.1.  The first time I installed I did it
using .configure, but I ran into this problem so I reloaded SUSE (this is a new
box) and did it using the Nagios RPM's from SUSE.  But I get to the same point
and have the same problem.

Nagios is running. I can see it using ps -ef and I'm getting e-mail
notifications (I copied the .cfg files from another installation and they seem
to work).  I installed apache2 before I even installed Nagios, and though I can
get the first Nagio screen to come up, and I can get to several of the cgi links
do work:  Alert History, Alert Summary, Notifications, Event Log, and View
Config all seem to work.  Since those links work, I'm assuming the cgi redirect
in the httpd.conf file is correct.

But on all of the other links, I get "Error: Could not read host and service
status information!"

Here is the revelant part of the httpd.conf file:

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/nagios/cgi/
<Directory "/usr/lib/nagios/cgi">
   Options ExecCGI
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /nagios/ /usr/share/nagios/
<Directory "/usr/share/nagios/">
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   Options None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

The file locations are correct. I have tried with and without quotes and
following slashes.

The files in the /usr/lib/nagios/cgi directory are all owned by root:root.  I
tried changing that to nagios:nagios but it didn't help.  On my previous box
where Nagios works, root:root are the file owners.

I've also set up .htaccess but it didn't seem to make a difference once I was
logged in.  My previous Nagios installation did not even use .htaccess so I'm
assuming if you leave that out it should work but has no authentication (and
use_authentication in cgi.cfg I have set to 1 or 0, no difference.

I brought the hosts/services configuration files over from a 1.0 installation
but I can't see any changes in the default configuration files for 1.2 that
couldn't handle those files.

Cgi.cfg I configured manually and made the appropriate changes to make sure the
paths are correct.  I've tried it both with all of the "authorized_for_system.."
commented out (as they were in my old system) or =* (as they were by default in
the new system).  It seems to make no difference.

Any ideas as to what I'm missing here?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Allison Andrews
Unix Administrator
Epson Portland Inc