[PMX:#] NSClient on port 443

Collins, Steve Steve.Collins at industry.gov.au
Tue Aug 24 05:30:21 CEST 2004

This question kind of goes along with my NRPE one...

Can I install NSClient to talk on a well-known and open port (say 80 or 443).  I know the port is configurable, but our security rules with respect to access to our remote-hosted production servers are very anal (e.g. only one workstation in *entire* organisation has Radmin access, no ssh, etc.).

What I'm trying to figure is what approach to take in order to do the following:

- check-host-alive on remote boxes (ping is blocked, so I'm thinking NRPE-NT)
- check disk, CPU, processes, etc (I'm thinking NSClient/NRPE but need to know whether I might achieve it just with NSClient on say, port 443)
- check HTTP and ColdFusion as a dependent pair (with CF dependent on HTTP)

I'd really appreciate some clear advice.

TIA.

Steve
--
Stephen Collins
Web Development Section

E steve.collins at industry.gov.au
P +61 2 62137193
C +61 410 680722
F +61 2 62136227

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is
intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.