checking for reboots of a host (perhaps via SNMP/uptime?)

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Sat Aug 21 01:28:28 CEST 2004

Hi!

Well, got the problem that I am stress-testing some embedded devices
(console servers) for stability. Unfortunately, they crash somehow, and
I need to determine that they have crashed. The reboot time is quite
quick, so that even a check_ping that is scheduled once per minute
sometimes cannot catch them reliably.

My thoughts were:

1) put a script onto that device (embedded linux with ssh access and a
flashdisk) that sends email once the thing reboots

2) do it via nagios, perhaps checking the uptime via SNMP.

Has anyone written a check for this yet?

3) in the contrib dir is a check_uptime.c, that obviously needs
self-compiling the hard way, at least in my FreeBSD box the contrib dir
isn't being compiled automagically.

Versions of the Software:
# pkg_info |grep nagios
nagios-1.2          Extremely powerful network monitoring system
nagios-plugins-1.3.1_1 Plugins for nagios

Any suggestions?

TIA
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)