Problem with false status

Dale Hobbs dhobbs at chancery.com
Fri Aug 20 17:45:08 CEST 2004

You may want to modify your hosts.cfg file as follows

# 'jello' host definition
define host{
         use                     generic-host            ; Name of host

template to use

         host_name               jello2
         alias                   jello2
         address                 172.16.1.x
         check_command           check_host_alive
         max_check_attempts      10
         notification_interval   30
         notification_period     24x7
         notification_options    d,u,r

Also you should have something in relating to the check_ping in your
checkcommands.cfg file similar to this

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
	command_name	check_ping
	command_line	$USER1$/check_fping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$
-c $ARG2$ -n $ARG3$
	}

I believe by default it uses the check_fping instead of check ping. If
you compiled Nagios yourself then there is a file called REQUIREMENTS
that is included with all the files that says the following

check_fping:
        - Requires the fping utility distributed with SATAN.  Either
          download and install SATAN or grab the fping program from
          http://www.fping.com
          http://www.stanford.edu/~schemers/docs/fping/fping.html

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/libc6/SRPMS/fping-2.2b1-1.src.rpm

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/libc6/RPMS/fping-2.2b1-1.i386.rpm
          Note that the fping command must be setuid root to function.

That will most likely fix the problem for you. Or you could just change
the fping to ping in the checkcommands.cfg file