Understanding the Nagios Eventlog

Darren.Lichty at alltel.com Darren.Lichty at alltel.com
Fri Aug 20 05:17:18 CEST 2004

I see this same sort of thing happen for a test passive check I have setup.
When I first bring Nagios on-line, and submit a passive check result (via some test scripts I built), it will show events in the following order:
	Acknowledgement of the external command (PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT)
	Host Alert (Host assumed to be up)
	Service Alert

If I am not mistaken, I believe this is what Nagios is doing internally:
	1) receive results of service check (passive in my case)
	2) since the service is up, mark the host as up
	3) mark the service as up

Now I may be completely off base here, but that is what I think is happening.  I have not dived that deep into the source code to know this algorithm too intimately.

-Darren