[PMX:#] Can I email, but NOT SMS?

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Fri Aug 20 04:27:26 CEST 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 12:13:57PM +1000, Collins, Steve wrote:

> We have a conceptual set of notifications where at certain
> times for given hosts and services we want to send ONLY email
> notifications (workhours) and at others, email AND SMS (nonworkhours).
>
> I can't find anywhere where this sort of notification is
> configurable, and as far as I can figure, the best way to
> configure it would be to have two entries (workhours and
> nonworkhours) for each contact where the work hours contained
> only an email notification method and the nonworkhours
> contained both email and SMS.

This is how we've set it up, and it does work but is a little bit
messy. In fact, I've gone with three contact definitions for
each individual - their username (which never receives notifications),
and username-email (for email notifications) and username-sms.  If
you set it up like this from the start it should be fairly easy to
keep it in sync, especially if you make use of contact groups and
inheritance.

I've also been thinking of pushing the notification logic out into
an external script; let Nagios work out who needs to be notified and
when, and use an external script to decide if it should send an email,
SMS, windows popup message, etc.  Haven't actually bothered implementing
that yet.

Those are the only two ways I've thought of handling this, so I'd be
interested to hear any other ideas, as well.