[Nagios-users]

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Mon Aug 16 23:59:47 CEST 2004

Some things to check:
NOTE: All commands must be run in context of the nagios server's user, the
first command may be omitted if this is the case already. This is especially
important not because of execute permissions, but because of ssh keys that
get passed and checked

Verify paswordless (ie publickey) login from Nagios server
root at nagios-server# su to <nagios user>
nagios at nagios-server# ssh -l <remote-user> <remote-host>

Public key MUST be set up for automated checks to work - if you have to
enter a password, it WILL NOT work under any circumstances.  Once logged in,
try running the check command and make sure it executes properly as the
remote-user

nagios at remote-host# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 10 -c 8 -p
/;echo $?
DISK OK [1819196 kB (95%) free on /dev/sda2]
0

Verify check_by_ssh from Nagios server
root at nagios-server# su to <nagios user>
nagios at nagios-server# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -l nagios -H
localhost -C 'echo OK;exit 0'; echo $?
OK
0

nagios at nagios-server# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -l nagios -H
localhost -C 'echo CRITICAL;exit 2'; echo $?
CRITICAL
2

Once this works, then you can substitute the actual plugin and try again.

If the above does not work, check that your remote-host ssh configuration
does not use login banners, or use a newer version of the check_by_ssh
plugin that support suppression of login banners.