Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Instal lation

Hollist, Seth Seth.Hollist at INGENIX.COM
Mon Aug 16 22:53:35 CEST 2004

I agree.  I read the documentation over a hundred times, but still didn't
understand it until I saw a simplified configuration rite up in SysAdmin
Magazine.  I've seen struggled with almost every single client I've tried to
monitor with NRPE, especially when it comes to AIX, and HP-UX.  I've also
found it hard to get decent answers from this mailing list when asking for
help.  We're trying to replace Big Brother around here, but we've recently
had some people ask us to consider keeping Big Brother.

I've also found that every time you try to make a suggestion about improving
things like this, all you get is a bunch of people telling you how stupid
you are for not reading the documentation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Atwal, Steve [mailto:steve.atwal at ubc.ca]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 12:09 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Installation

I'd like to use Nagios, but after wasting over a month, finally gave up.
Setup instructions are very poor, and we ended up using Big Brother instead.
I'd still like to use Nagios, but the following problems will stop people in
their tracks when it comes to using it:

- poor setup/installation, for both the server and clients to be monitored
- poor documentation for admins, esp. related to above point
- no easy configuration tool, e.g. one solution: create a good Webmin
plug-in (someone else tried to do this, but it doesn't work)

If the developers of Nagios can work on the above and get that polished,
they will have a very good tool that a lot more people will be using. Until
then....we'll leave it to those that have lots and lots of time to waste.

Not being negative...just providing some feedback that might improve the
product.

Cheers
Steve

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

"Secure Server" made the following
 annotations on 08/16/2004 03:53:39 PM
------------------------------"This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately."