Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Installation

jeff vier jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com
Mon Aug 16 22:15:40 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 11:09 -0700, Atwal, Steve wrote:
> I'd like to use Nagios, but after wasting over a month, finally gave
> up. Setup instructions are very poor, and we ended up using Big
> Brother instead. I'd still like to use Nagios, but the following
> problems will stop people in their tracks when it comes to using it:
>
> - poor setup/installation, for both the server and clients to be
> monitored

Anything specific?  If you're making a blanket statement about *all*
services, I have to question your basic ability to set Nagios up at all.
Pinging hosts isn't all that difficult, and doesn't really involve
client setup, unless you count "getting routing working" as part of
Nagios' setup.

> - poor documentation for admins, esp. related to above point

ok.  I think it's great.  So do many others.

> - no easy configuration tool, e.g. one solution: create a good Webmin
> plug-in (someone else tried to do this, but it doesn't work)

To address this ugly thread again, I would like to propose that the
developers NOT force a gui upon us.  I like it fine the correct (ascii
file) way.

> If the developers of Nagios can work on the above and get that
> polished, they will have a very good tool that a lot more people will
> be using. Until then....we'll leave it to those that have lots and
> lots of time to waste.

I waste almost no time with it, thanks.
And I didn't find there to be a very steep learning curve at all to
accomplish basic monitoring.

Certainly, the more advanced "tricks" (para-distributed monitoring, snmp
traps, nsca, nrpe, and apan all working cohesively isn't a basic setup,
though) take some time, but it's not like working blind.  I found it
quite pleasurable to work with.

> Not being negative...just providing some feedback that might improve
> the product.

Feedback, yes.  Good feedback, no.  Perhaps some specific points that
you were unable to overcome would help us reply in a constructive
manner.