Recurring downtime: necessary to restart nagio s to reread the downtime.log?

Ned Hanks ndhanks at geneva.com
Thu Aug 12 18:03:39 CEST 2004

I ran into the same problem and figured out that I needed to send a downtime
command to the command file, /usr/local/var/rw/nagios.cmd

I got this script from somebody of this list Sorry, can't remember who but
would like to thank that person.

#!/bin/bash

# $1 host scheduled for downtime
# $2 time to start scheduled downtime
# $3 length in minutes of downtime
# $4 fixed flag - see Nagios documentation - defaults to 0

USER1=/usr/nagios

now=$(date +%s)
host=$1
from=$(date --date="$2" +%s)
duration=$3
till=$(($from+$duration))

fixed=0

if [ ! -z "$4" ]
then
   fixed=$4
fi

echo "[$now]
SCHEDULE_HOST_DOWNTIME;$host;$from;$till;$fixed;$duration;Nagios
Cron;Scheduled Downtime" >> $USER1/var/rw/nagios.cmd

Ned D Hanks
IT Manager
Geneva Steel, LLC
10 South Geneva Rd