General Escalations Question

Zac Israel zac at corenap.com
Fri Aug 6 17:40:28 CEST 2004

I am using Nagios and things are working quite well, I was doing some auditing of the config scripts and noticed that there is another way for me to define my escalations. I am curious if anyone else had tried these 2 different ways and noticed any differences in performance or anything else.  Currently I have my escalations.cfg file like this: (method A)

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          T1
        service_description     PING
        contact_groups          oncall1
        first_notification      1
        last_notification       1
        notification_interval   3
        }

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          T1
        service_description     PING
        contact_groups          oncall1,oncall2
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       2
        notification_interval   3
        }

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          T1
        service_description     PING
        contact_groups          oncall1,oncall2,oncall3
        first_notification      3
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   3
        }

And this is the other method that I am curious if others use and have high success: (method B)

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          T1
        service_description     PING
        contact_groups          oncall1
        first_notification      1
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   3
        }

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          T1
        service_description     PING
        contact_groups          oncall2
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   3
        }

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          T1
        service_description     PING
        contact_groups          oncall3
        first_notification      3
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   3
        }

With method A I always get the down page but sometime the up page does not get sent.  I am curios if I am using the improper method or if there is no real difference. Again no real problem, just wanted to see what the comunity does. Thanks for any replys.

--
Zac Israel    zac at corenap.com
Connect at the Core!
www.corenap.com