Nagios-users digest, Service NOT running check

Fri Aug 6 14:08:44 CEST 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

  .. several mega-lines of multi-part (from the digest) deleted ..

> Message: 16
> Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:03:24 +0900
> From: Ian Masters <ian at acces.co.jp>
> To: <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Service NOT running check
>
> I'm sure that I've missed a basic premise about Nagios but I still can't for
> the life of me work out how to check that a service e.g. Telnet, is not
> running.
>
> Obviously I can check the port and get an alert and then acknowledge it. The
> Network Health then returns to all green. Is that the way it's normally
> done?

Do you mean that Nag is misreporting the state of a service ?

If, however, you mean that a port reachability check a la check_tcp is
insufficient to determine the health of the server listening on that
port, then agreed.

> When I was using Big Brother, you could check that a service is NOT running.
> Is this not done in Nagios?

IIRC check_procs either run with ssh or by NRPE will let you know if a
Unix process is not in the process table and therefore not running.

You can also check the server by exercising it more extensively eg in
order of severity

1 check_ftp and friends eg

tsitc> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ftp -H mvs -v
FTP ok - 1 sec. response time, 220-FTPSERVE IBM FTP CS V2R6 at IPAP,
22:03:05 on 2004-08-06.

tsitc> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp -H mvs -v
SMTP OK - 0 sec. response time, 220 MVS_SNAL.AIPO.GOV.AU running IBM MVS
SMTP CS V2R6 on Fri, 06 Aug 04 22:06:05 LCL
tsitc>

2 write your own plugins that exercise the server with tools such as

. wget, lynx, expect (or curl, Perl modules such as LWP, Perl
Net::Telnet, Net::FTP, Expect)

. use the CPAN WWW::Mechanize way to automate web page access

etc etc

Having read this, I see Karl has probably answered your question. Sorry
for the waste of time.

> Thanks
>
> Ian Masters

Yours sincerely.