Monitoring Redundant path routers

Peter Gutmann peter.gutmann at db.com
Mon Apr 26 22:20:44 CEST 2004

Well the answer to you question is that it depends. If you are using a
routing protocol (i.e. rip, ospf) then your network should be able to
withstand a single link failure (because an SNMP trap is just a network
packet :-). The routing protocol will manage the traffic between Router1
and Router3 and well as the traffic between Router2 and Router3. It's
these three routers that should decide how to forward the traffic from the
networks on the other side of the switch. So, if the interface or the link
on Router 2 (192.168.0.5) fails, two things should happen
1) Router2 should send an SNMP trap saying "I have lost my connection to
Router3 via 192.168.0.5"
2) Router3 should send an SNMP trap saying "I have lost my connection to
Router2 via 192.168.0.6"
3) You may get a message from Router2 saying recalculating routes for
192.168.2.0

Nagios will not see that the whole router is down (you should be using
SNMP to check CPU and other "internal" values. It's the interface service
that will fail....

Good luck

----
Peter Gutmann