Monitoring Redundant path routers

Peter Gutmann peter.gutmann at db.com
Mon Apr 26 20:11:34 CEST 2004

Why can't you use SNMP for this? The line up and the line down events
should generate SNMP traps. At the very least, could you use SNMP mib to
poll the status of the device....

----
Peter Gutmann
Peter.Gutmann at db.com

Spencer Horn <shorn at lssi.net>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
04/26/2004 01:56 PM

        To:     petreski at ksu.edu
        cc:     nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
        Subject:        Re: [Nagios-users] Monitoring Redundant path routers

As far as I know, this cannot be done we had to write this into the code
ourselves.

bldr

UP
04-26-2004 12:50:17
2d 22h 27m 20s
PING OK - bldra (Packet loss= 0%, RTA=0.23 ms)
PING OK - bldrb (Packet loss= 0%, RTA=0.20 ms)
PING OK - bldrc (Packet loss= 0%, RTA=0.19 ms)
PING OK - bldrd (Packet loss= 0%, RTA=0.68 ms)

Spencer

Samuel Petreski wrote:
Hi,

I was looking into using Nagios for Enterprise wide monitoring and am very
impressed with all the capabilities, but ran into following question:

                                      192.168.0.1          192.168.0.2
                       192.168.1.21
                        --------------------
--------------------192.168.1.1           --------------------
                        | Router 1     |----------------------------|
Router 2     |----------------------------|  Nagios       |
                        -------------------- --------------------
--------------------
                  192.168.0.9 \    /  192.168.0.5
                                     \        /
                                      \      /
                                       \    /
                                        \  /
                                         \ /
                                          \                             /
                                           \                          /
                                            \                       /
                                             \                    /
                                              \                 /
                            192.168.0.10\               / 192.168.0.6
                                              --------------------
                                              | Router 3     |
                                              --------------------
                                                      |  192.168.2.1
                                                      |
                                                      |  192.168.2.2
                                                -------------
                                                | Switch1|
                                                -------------

Can Nagios monitor the individual interfaces between the routers in order
to inform me when a link/interface goes down? I'm mainly interested if
monitoring Router 3, to have Router 1 and Router 2 as dependencies, but
also to know if the link between Router 1 and Router 2 goes down, because
Nagios will be able to reach Router 3 through the link between Router 2
and Router 3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if further information is
required, please feel free to let me know.

--Samuel

P.S. If this is a cross post, please let me know where I can find the
original post.