check_ping skews loss % when seeing duplicates

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Apr 23 00:50:51 CEST 2004

Michael Bambic wrote:
> Unfortunately on my network we get duplicate traffic and this causes Nagios
> to read the duplicate packets as loss.
>
> Has anybody modified the check_ping command to fix this?

There is check_fping, which is a parser for the fping program. I've
modified it quite a bit to be standalone, and I'll post it to
nagiosplug-devel as soon as I get it tested a bit more.
It marks its packets a bit more carefully, so these kinds of problems
don't happen, works faster than regular ping (by using raw sockets) and
gives clever precision output (instead of down to 1/1000000 of a
millisecond, as the regular check_fping).

--
Mvh
Andreas Ericsson
andreas.ericsson at op5.se