Trouble with ping

Mark Price mark at tqhosting.com
Thu Apr 22 19:32:34 CEST 2004

Hi, I am a new NAGIOS user and am unable to get the ping service to work.

in my services.cfg:

define service{
        host_name                       host1,host3
        service_description             PING
        contact_groups                  admins
        check_command                   newcheck_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        max_check_attempts              2
        normal_check_interval           1
        retry_check_interval            1
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_interval           75
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
}

in my checkcommands.cfg:

define command{
        command_name    newcheck_ping
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 100.0,20%
-c 500.0,60% -p 5
}

the problem is that the pings always go into an unknown state in
nagios.  In the "status information" for the service, it says:
/bin/ping -n -U -c 5 209.120.238.150, but I don't have that /bin/ping
command anywhere in my .cfg files.  It was in cgi.cfg but I blanked it out.

It shows the same thing in my nagios.log:

[1082654666] SERVICE ALERT: host1;PING;UNKNOWN;SOFT;1;/bin/ping -n -U -c
5 10.1.1.1
[1082654726] SERVICE ALERT: host1;PING;UNKNOWN;HARD;2;/bin/ping -n -U -c
5 10.1.1.1

If I ping that host from the commandline on this box, it works fine.

any ideas?  thanks

Mark