Dependencies giving unexpected results - not sure if what's happe ning should be expected.

Seth Hollist Seth.Hollist at ingenix.com
Thu Apr 22 18:47:10 CEST 2004

This is my first time configuring Nagios, so I'm not sure that I'm doing
this correctly.  My dependencies configuration don't seem to work very well,
but everything else seems to be working the way I'd expect.  I'm wondering
if someone could verify this sample from my config files, and tell me what I
might be doing wrong.  Thanks.

What I expect from this configuration is that if ingslcsdc-d goes down, ns3
and all it's services will be marked as unreachable, and I will only be
notified of ingslcsdc-d going down (not about ns3 or any of it's services,
as they should be marked as unreachable).  If ns3 goes down I expect to only
be notified of the PING service failing, and not be notified of any other
service on ns3 (as they would be marked as unreachable).

define host{
        name                            generic-unix-host
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        max_check_attempts              4
        notification_interval           1440
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            d,r
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-unix-service
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        max_check_attempts              4
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_interval           1440
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  unix-admins
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        register                        0
        }

define servicedependency{
        name                            generic-service-deps
        dependent_service_description   PING
        execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
        notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
        register                        0
        }

## NS3 ##
define host{
        use                     generic-unix-host
        host_name               ns3
        alias                   NS3-mail
        address                 10.128.52.226
        check_command           check-host-alive
        parents                 ingslcsdc-d
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-unix-service
        host_name                       ns3
        service_description             PING
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

define servicedependency{
        use                             generic-service-deps
        host_name                       ns3
        dependent_host_name             ingslcsdc-d
        service_description             PING
        }
define hostdependency{
        host_name                       ns3
        dependent_host_name             ingslcsdc-d
        }
define servicedependency{
        use                             generic-service-deps
        name                            ns3-service-deps
        host_name                       ns3
        dependent_host_name             ns3
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        use                             generic-unix-service
        host_name                       ns3
        service_description             SSH
        check_command                   check_tcp!22
        }
define servicedependency{
        use                             ns3-service-deps
        service_description             SSH
        }

recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.