Service notifications when host is down

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 22 01:19:41 CEST 2004

>What's strange about this particular case, however, is that Nagios
>*usually* catches it. For example, in the following sequence, the host
>down alert was generated before the service checks, thus avoiding the
>unnecessary notification:
>
>[04-21-2004 06:49:06] SERVICE ALERT:
>host-xxx;load;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after
>10 seconds.
>[04-21-2004 06:49:06] SERVICE ALERT: host-xxx;Load Combo
>check;CRITICAL;HARD;1;(Service Check Timed Out)
>[04-21-2004 06:49:06] SERVICE ALERT: host-xxx;httpd
>processes;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.
>[04-21-2004 06:49:06] HOST ALERT: host-xxx;DOWN;HARD;6;PING CRITICAL -
>Packet loss = 100%

I heard that the host check is only performed if all service checks fail.
Thus you only get a host alert after all service checks have failed *and*
the host check has failed.  Does this mean that the service check alerts
will be generated, or that they will be suppressed by the subsequent failed
host alert?  My guess is that they are treated independently, and so are not
suppressed until the next time around, hence you get all the service alerts,
and then just repeated host alerts.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **