Service notifications when host is down

Ben Whaley Benjamin.Whaley at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 22 00:59:11 CEST 2004

 > I though of setting a 'ping' service check on the host, and making
all other
 > checks dependent on it, but that seems to me to be more of a
workaround than
 > a solution, and it doesn't fully solve the scheduled downtime problem.

Yes, we had the same idea. I am currently using some other, similar work
arounds to solve problems that Nagios doesn't have a solution for but
they have introduced more problems than they've fixed.

What's strange about this particular case, however, is that Nagios
*usually* catches it. For example, in the following sequence, the host
down alert was generated before the service checks, thus avoiding the
unnecessary notification:

[04-21-2004 06:49:06] SERVICE ALERT:
host-xxx;load;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.
[04-21-2004 06:49:06] SERVICE ALERT: host-xxx;Load Combo
check;CRITICAL;HARD;1;(Service Check Timed Out)
[04-21-2004 06:49:06] SERVICE ALERT: host-xxx;httpd
processes;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.
[04-21-2004 06:49:06] HOST ALERT: host-xxx;DOWN;HARD;6;PING CRITICAL -
Packet loss = 100%

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben