Contact Template Not Working?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Apr 19 23:05:43 CEST 2004

Paul L. Allen <mailto:pla at softflare.com> wrote:
> Thomas Quinlan writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, changing that to "register 1" or elimintating it
> > completely does not change anything.
> > (Aside from that, all my templates for hosts, etc., have a generic
> > template that is registered 0.)
>
> Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't read all your post.  Because you
> had contact_name there, I assumed that you were actually defining the
> contact and shouldn't have register 0.
>
> As others have since responded, having contact_name in a template may
> not work.  Whenever I've tried to do anything like that it failed.
> You can inherit things from a template but you can't over-ride them,
> my experiments indicate.  Over-riding would be very useful, like
> being able to over-ride the a check command for a service check on a
> local machine which may well be done differently for checking the
> same thing on a remote machine (e.g., check_disk). Similarly, it
> would be nice to over-ride arguments to a check command on a
> per-instance basis.

You can absolutely over-ride template defined variables. From
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/templaterecursion.html -
"Remember, locally defined variables override variables that would
normally be inherited from a template object." The only question in my
mind was whether you could have a host_name definition in a template and
override that with a local host_name definition or contact_name in a
template and override with a locate contact_name in a contact definition
as a more pertinent example. From this thread it appears that is doable,
but still questionable as to why one would want to have something that
specific in a template in the first place. I'm not really looking for an
answer either as I'd never do it ;)

--
Marc