Contact Template Not Working?

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Mon Apr 19 22:46:16 CEST 2004

Thomas Quinlan writes:

> Unfortunately, changing that to "register 1" or
> elimintating it completely does not change anything.
> (Aside from that, all my templates for hosts, etc.,
> have a generic template that is registered 0.)

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't read all your post.  Because you
had contact_name there, I assumed that you were actually defining
the contact and shouldn't have register 0.

As others have since responded, having contact_name in a template
may not work.  Whenever I've tried to do anything like that it
failed.  You can inherit things from a template but you can't
over-ride them, my experiments indicate.  Over-riding would be
very useful, like being able to over-ride the a check command for
a service check on a local machine which may well be done differently
for checking the same thing on a remote machine (e.g., check_disk).
Similarly, it would be nice to over-ride arguments to a check command
on a per-instance basis.

Cue people telling me that over-riding is not only possible, it's
well-documented.  I wish they would, because I hate having to cut and
paste a check command many times in services.cfg just so that I can
have a different command or different set of arguments for one host
out of many.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support