Questions about scaling configuration and templating

Mueller, Karl KMueller at netsuite.com
Mon Apr 12 20:54:23 CEST 2004

Hi All,

I've been working on recreating our Nagios environment to be purely
Nagios configuration file objects instead of partially script-generated
ones.  The setup is, I'm sure, a popular one:  A 'master' server with N
number of slave servers.  The master server accepts passive check
information, the slave servers submit them.  I have two separate
environments now which require separate master/slave groups, and that
may increase in the future.  I would like a common configuration tree
with little needing to be defined extra.  (i.e., most of the
configuration is 'automagic')

Smart templating has solved many of the problems with the configuration,
but I am still having issues with the following:

1) Although 'commands' can be defined without needing 'instances' of the
commands in active use, the same cannot be said about services,
escalations, hostgroups, etc.  Why does this matter?  Some hosts,
groups, etc. exist in one environment but not another.  I can define a
regexp escalation definition in the common tree.  It will correctly pick
up the escalation in the environment with the matching hostgroup(s), but
it bombs out if there's no match.

Seems there ought to be a feature/configs line where you can say,
"ignore silently if no matches"?  The amount of extra work to define all
this separately could be fairly substantial.  It would make regexp usage
much more flexible for multi-environments.

2) Service dependencies on the host itself.  I think this has been
brought up before, but it's VERY annoying to have to create service
dependency definitions for individual machines.  For example, we have an
'Oracle' check which checks the state of Oracle.  There are 4 or 5
sub-checks which check other Oracle things.  Obviously, they depend on
Oracle running on the particular machine.  You can't define a service
dependency for each box on its own "Oracle" service except by creating
each one specifically.

Would it be possible to get a 'SELF' special dependency tag for this?  I
looked at the code myself.  It was very hard to follow for this, or I'd
create a patch.

Thanks!
-Karl