NRPE on IA64-linux

Mooney, Ryan ryan.mooney at pnl.gov
Mon Apr 12 18:20:32 CEST 2004

> Acturally I tried file command for NRPE binary. NRPE daemon
> and some other plugins didn't seem to cause any problems. The
> output of the file command for nrpe,check_disk,check_load,check_snmp,
>  ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
> GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Looks good...

> However, the problem looked check_memory which is contrib plugin,
> ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
> GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> I re-compiled the check_memory plugin,
>
> # cd nagios-plugins-1.3.1/contrib/tarballs/check_memory
> # make all
> gcc -Wall -m486 -O2 -DVERSION=\"1\" -DSUBVERSION=\"0\"   -c
> -ocheck_memory.o check_memory.c
> cc1: invalid option `486'
> make: *** [check_memory.o] error code 1
> I changed the -m option "486" to "ia64" in Makefile, but it didn't
> work and resulted in error(I didn't put down the error massages,,,,..)
>
> Don't you know any option to complie it? Or should I try some
> other ways?

Hmm, If you could get the actual error from the compile on your system
that would be helpful.  I just removed the -m486 altogether (that's an
optimization flag, that's irrelevant for ia64) tried it below and while
there were some warnings the the plugin still seems to work (you can get

rid of the exit warning by adding #include <unistd.h> to the top of
version.c, but it doesn't change the functionality any [in this case]).

$ pwd
/path/nagios-plugins-1.3.1/contrib/tarballs/check_memory

$ make all
gcc -Wall -O2 -DVERSION=\"1\" -DSUBVERSION=\"0\"   -c -o check_memory.o
check_memory.c
check_memory.c: In function `main':
check_memory.c:41: warning: `statmsg' might be used uninitialized in
this function
check_memory.c:42: warning: `errlvl' might be used uninitialized in this
function
gcc -Wall -O2 -DVERSION=\"1\" -DSUBVERSION=\"0\"   -c -o sysinfo.o
sysinfo.c
gcc -Wall -O2 -DVERSION=\"1\" -DSUBVERSION=\"0\"   -c -o version.o
version.c
version.c: In function `init_Linux_version':
version.c:35: warning: implicit declaration of function `exit'
gcc -s -O2 -o check_memory check_memory.o sysinfo.o version.o

$ ./check_memory 30 20

$ file check_memory
check_memory:   ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped