Hi! SMTP not working?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Apr 11 20:39:47 CEST 2004

Francesco De Santolo <mailto:mtxmatrix at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new into the mailing list and I was wondering if someone
> could help me, I installed and configured Nagios Sucessfully, but it
> is saying SMTP is down. You can take a look here
> http://matrix.mtxis.net/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=all

The status information "Connection refused by host" tells me that either
SMTP isn't running, isn't listening on the IP you are monitoring or is
firewalled off from your monitoring host. If none of those are the case
then we'll need to see your host, service and command definitions that
you are using.

> I did the .htaccess thing and it doesn't accepted my password dunno
> why...

What does it do? Setting up .htaccess is straightforward and there's
nothing Nagios requires beyond basic user authentication so any Apache
.htaccess documentation should be a good reference if the Nagios
documentation isn't clear enough. It's only after a user has
authenticated against Apache that Nagios takes notice and does it's
special processing.

--
Marc