Dependency problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Apr 8 09:48:33 CEST 2004

Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson writes:
>
>> Also, if the network really is in such a crappy state, you might want
>> to just stop monitoring it, since it's obviously not mission-critical
>> for you.
>

> Meanwhile, over in the real world...
> Some of us monitor clients who have connections which are always, or
> are intermittently, unreliable.  ADSL in the UK is a steaming pile of
> manure, with frequent prolonged outages.  Some of us monitor people
> on the other end of unreliable links because they wish to provide proof
> to the companies providing those links that the service is crappy.
> A crappy network CAN be mission critical to those on the wrong end of
> it, and monitoring that network can be the only way of getting compensation
> for outages and getting things fixed.  Some of us DO need to do the things
> that you so readily dismiss.
> Perhaps one day you will visit our planet and learn how things are here
> instead of assuming that the conditions on your planet apply everywhere
> in the universe.  Eppur si muove.  Somebody was burned alive at the stake
> for saying that; I'll only get flamed for saying it.

If compensation is the issue notifications should be turned off and
nagios used as a report tool. Setting the variables that control
nagios's logic to a value that is clearly creating problems isn't the
right way to suppress notifications.

If you want me to not filter your posts in the future, I suggest you
start acting like an adult and stop going for my throat every time we
disagree on something. It is actually possible to argue over something
without claiming the other party to be an idiot.

--
Mvh
Andreas Ericsson
andreas.ericsson at op5.se