Empty status.sav?

Daniel Henninger daniel at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 7 19:18:12 CEST 2004

Hi folk,

I've been trying everything I can to figure out what is going on with my
Nagios servers.  They are running under Redhat 9 and are running 1.2.
They are set up to be redundant via linux heartbeat, so if one goes down,
the other takes over and starts up checks.  The "inactive" nagios server
receives updates via nsca.. basically it's set up similar to the way the
Nagios docs suggest.

Anyway, periodically, the master Nagios server will go "nuts".  It will
stop keeping up with service check results.  I can watch the processes
successfully running and completing, but the data never seems to get
stored anywhere.  Likewise, I just noticed that status.sav is empty.
Just about everything Nagios uses, data-wise, is inside MySQL, local to
the machine, and running MySQL 4.0.17 at present.  Stopping and starting
Nagios fixes the problem temporarily, until it creeps up again later.

I posted a little about this in the past but didn't get anywhere with it
as it also periodically (and temporarily) repairs itself.  I've had
multiple people look at it, looked at it quite a bit myself, and have
gotten absolutely nowhere.

Part of my question here is, is status.sav supposed to be empty?
Honestly, I'm not convinced that there's not something wrong with MySQL.
As far as I can tell, Nagios is trucking along happily, it's even logging
all of it's results to nagios.log, it's just not getting "in" to MySQL.

Any ideas?

Daniel

--
\ \\\      Daniel Henninger           http://www.vorpalcloud.org/        /// /