REPOST: Problem with Apan Graphs

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Apr 7 14:15:13 CEST 2004

This is a repost of a problem that has been going on for several days. I have
installed Nagios 1.2
with the 1.3.1 plug-in's on a Red Hat 8.0 machine. I am now trying to configure
Apan-sql 3.0 to work on the system. To that end I have installed bc 1.06 and
MySQL 4.0.18-standard and then installed the Apan program. I have configured the

program according to the instructions and also set up a service to check the
load
on a Windows 2000 machine. The appropriate files have been modified and I used
the
apanconf-sql utility to set up the service and everything appeared to go
smoothly.

The problem that I am facing is when I click on the link to show the graphs,
they do not appear. Basically small red "x"'s appear where the graphs should be
which
may indicate a problem with  the link. I checked /tmp/apancgi.debug and
apan.debug
logs and there was nothing in either that would indicate a problem. I then
changed the
debug level to five and did an "immediate check" of the services on the host.
There were
no additional entries in either of the apan log files. The next step was to
verify that
the rrd directory was owned by the nagios user and group. I then made sure I
could log
into the nagios database successfully, which I was. The rrd file that was
created in
the /usr/local/nagios/rrd directory was getting updated on a regular basis. I
ran the
apan-sql and genereate-sql cgi files manually as the root and nagios user. Both
accounts
generated the following error message:

ERROR 1064 at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version
for the right syntax to use near ' ' at line 1

The version of MySQL that I am using is Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.18. This is the
rpm version
downloaded from the web. I checked the ownership and permissions of the cgi
files and they
are owned by the nagios user and group, with the permissions on both files are
rwxrwxr-x.
The same was also done for the /usr/local/nagios/rrd/<name>.rrd file, with the
result
being the user and group ownership being nagios, and the the permissions being
the following: rw-r--r--. I tried the Konqueror, Firefox, Mozilla, and Internet
Explorer
web browsers to see if that made a difference. It did not, they all show the
same problem.

At this point I am at a loss as to why the graphs are not appearing, and could
really
use some help in correcting this.