Problem with state retention

Lionel lionel.ostric at arm.com
Tue Apr 6 20:10:03 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have a problem with nagios 1.2 on a debian machine.
in my /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg, I have (among others) the following lines :

state_retention_file=/var/log/nagios/status.sav
retain_state_information=1
retention_update_interval=5

but nagios never write to /var/log/nagios/status.sav even if I touch it and
change the owner to nagios and chmod 777 it.

in the eventlog of nagios, every five minutes I have a line saying auto-save of
data retention completed succesfully but the file is desesperately empty.

The same configuration works perfectly on a nagios 1.1 installation on redhat 8.

I tried changing the location of the file but no luck.

I'm sure it is reading the right nagios.cfg because if I intentionally insert a
syntax error, nagios is complaining.

Any idea ?