Host and service flap detection threshold value recommendation

Platt, Nicholas Nick.Platt at myflorida.com
Tue Apr 6 19:44:43 CEST 2004

Hello:

Lately we been getting pages for small timeouts that have caused
notifications to be sent out.  I decided to enable flap detection.    After
reading the documentation, I understood the strategy, but did not have any
clue where to start the values at for low and high flap thresholds.   I
decided to use the values that were in the documentation, but does anyone
have any recommendations based on experience of what values I should use.
Currently,  I have every host and service set to:

define service{

        host_name                       SUNBOX

        service_description             Load

        is_volatile                     0

        check_period                    24x7

        max_check_attempts              3

        normal_check_interval           1

        retry_check_interval            1

        low_flap_threshold              25

        high_flap_threshold             50

        flap_detection_enabled          1

        contact_groups                  HelpDesk,sun-admins

        notification_interval           60

        notification_period             24x7

        notification_options            c,u,r

        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_load

        }