RTG + Nagios?

Jamie Baddeley jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz
Sat Apr 3 09:37:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

Properly Implementing RTG is on my todo list. I've tested it out. I like
it. Faasst - which means sub-minute display of traffic - which is cool -
this means Nagios will know about traffic/processor weirdness before the
usual five minute poll rate of alternative systems. We like this.

Throwing data into a lossless db is good. I like to be able to go back
to last month and compare with this month. (..what is this disk space
shortage you speak of?)

On the downside, the front end is nowhere near the likes of cacti or
cricket - it's pretty basic. Also the poller is pretty much SNMP only,
so it's hard to do hacks and get things like dns response times, or
preprocess snmp responses (e.g. windows disk utilisation) etc or [add
your obscure measurement requirement here]. And a postgres variant would
be absolutely iceblock.

That was the long answer. The short answer is I haven't tried to
integrate nagios and rtg yet. But I intend to.

peace.

jamie