check_ping strangeness

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 2 22:18:49 CEST 2004

I have a new nagios setup (and I am a relative newbie) with one oddity.

No matter what user I run it as, check_ping fails thusly

check_ping -H www.foobar.com -w1000,10% -c2000,50%

You've got a big problem buddy! You need more args!!!
Cannot open pipe: jim at east:

This is on a Debian stable system, with Nagios compiled from tarball,
most everything else seems to work, but this is horking up and I would
like to fix it. The usual google searches did not suggest that this is a
problem others have experienced. So I post the question here.

My theory is that the great success of Windoze is based entirely on
  providing someone to blame....
			Jon Tillman in ASP