Nagios showcase project !

jeff vier jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com
Thu Sep 25 21:31:11 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:58, Sean Perry wrote:
> Yeah I did something similar as well.  I have a xml file which defines
> hosts and a script which reads it and outputs the nagios .cfg files.
>
> <host>
>    <name>terminator</name>
>    <type>linux</type>
>    <group>engr-srv</group>
>    <services>
>      <service>http</service>
>    </services>
> </host>
>
> My script takes groups and types and automatically adds service checks
> for things like memory, cpu, etc.  If the host is a win2k machine it
> also use check_nt to find out which drives it has and lists them for
> disk usage checks.
>
> One of the things that drove me crazy about the nagios cfg format is
> there is so much duplication.  This lets me easily define and change
> machines and not forget to update one of the files.
>
> As for the XML itself, well I had never written an XML based app and
> this seemed like a good project to learn with.  Not one of those XML
> everywhere types, honest.

The only reason I didn't make an "spawner" type script (by that I mean a
script that takes one format and uses it to spawn another) is because
things were still in flux at the time as to what hosts needed what
monitoring.

I've not looked into nagios 2.0 much, but I really hope it is moving
towards more template-based configuration.  The repetition is killing
me.